CApturing Paradata for documenTing data creation and Use for the REsearch of the future (CAPTURE)
We might have enough data about data but not a good enough understanding of how the data came about. CAPTURE investigates what information about the creation and use of research data that is paradata) is needed and how to capture enough of that information to make the data reusable in the future. The wickedness of the problem lies in the practical impossibility to document and keep everything and the difficulty to determine how to capture just enough.
The empirical focus of CAPTURE is archaeological and cultural heritage data, which stands out by its extreme heterogeneity and rapid accumulation due to the scale of ongoing development-led archaeological fieldwork. Within and beyond this specific context, CAPTURE develops an in-depth understanding of how paradata is being created and used today, elicits methods for capturing paradata, tests new methods in field trials, and synthesises the findings in a reference model to inform the capturing of paradata and enabling data-intensive research using heterogeneous research data stemming from diverse origins.
The project is directed by professor Isto Huvila
This project has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme grant agreement No 818210.
A systematic sample of 10% of archaeological field reports published in samla.raa.se respository in 2018
Documenting information making in archaeological field reports
Monstrous hybridity of social information technologies: Through the lens of photorealism and non-photorealism in archaeological visualization
- Come work with us! Two open postdoctoral positions in CAPTURE
- New article: Documenting information making in archaeological field reports
- Seminar: Research data and research documentation – what, why and how?
- Understanding masking in scholarly data publishing and reuse @ DS2 conference
- CAPTURE Talk with Sarah Callaghan
- @CAPTURE_ERC: Come work with us! Two 2y #postdocjobs in @CAPTURE_ERC : one in #archaeology ; one in #informationscience #sts or similar #postdoc #hiring #paradata #researchdata #datamanagement DL Jul 30, 2021 2021-05-14
- @CAPTURE_ERC: Two #postdoc positions will be shortly open for applications with @CAPTURE_ERC - one is for candidates with PhD in #archaeology etc and one for #informationstudies, #STS etc both starting in Fall21/Jan22. Stay tuned on this channel for a link to the announcement. #postdocjobs 2021-05-05
- @CAPTURE_ERC: New article: Huvila, I., Sköld, O. and Börjesson, L. (2021), "Documenting information making in archaeological field reports", Journal of Documentation, #openaccess #paradata #archaeology 2021-04-29