CApturing Paradata for documenTing data creation and Use for the REsearch of the future (CAPTURE)
We might have enough data about data but not a good enough understanding of how the data came about. CAPTURE investigates what information about the creation and use of research data that is paradata) is needed and how to capture enough of that information to make the data reusable in the future. The wickedness of the problem lies in the practical impossibility to document and keep everything and the difficulty to determine how to capture just enough.
The empirical focus of CAPTURE is archaeological and cultural heritage data, which stands out by its extreme heterogeneity and rapid accumulation due to the scale of ongoing development-led archaeological fieldwork. Within and beyond this specific context, CAPTURE develops an in-depth understanding of how paradata is being created and used today, elicits methods for capturing paradata, tests new methods in field trials, and synthesises the findings in a reference model to inform the capturing of paradata and enabling data-intensive research using heterogeneous research data stemming from diverse origins.
The project is directed by professor Isto Huvila
This project has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme grant agreement No 818210.
- Interrogating paradata at CoLIS11 conference
- Improving the usefulness of research data with better paradata
- CAPTURE is hiring 1-2 postdoctoral research associates
- Documenting and making sense of digital research processes: findings from an international survey of archaeologists
- Call for papers: Traces of digital archaeological practises
- Yesterday and today we had the privilege to work with a group of great colleagues we are collaborating on a forthcoming anthology at a writers' workshop in Uppsala 2022-06-09
- Today "Interrogating #paradata ” @OlleKarlArne @LisaBorjesson & @ihuvila at #colis11 on the concept of paradata. Slides at https://www.istohuvila.se/content/interrogating-paradata 2022-05-31
- RT by @CAPTURE_ERC: A couple of days left to apply! 2022-05-13