CApturing Paradata for documenTing data creation and Use for the REsearch of the future (CAPTURE)
We might have enough data about data but not a good enough understanding of how the data came about. CAPTURE investigates what information about the creation and use of research data that is paradata) is needed and how to capture enough of that information to make the data reusable in the future. The wickedness of the problem lies in the practical impossibility to document and keep everything and the difficulty to determine how to capture just enough.
The empirical focus of CAPTURE is archaeological and cultural heritage data, which stands out by its extreme heterogeneity and rapid accumulation due to the scale of ongoing development-led archaeological fieldwork. Within and beyond this specific context, CAPTURE develops an in-depth understanding of how paradata is being created and used today, elicits methods for capturing paradata, tests new methods in field trials, and synthesises the findings in a reference model to inform the capturing of paradata and enabling data-intensive research using heterogeneous research data stemming from diverse origins.
The project is directed by professor Isto Huvila
This project has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme grant agreement No 818210.
Monstrous hybridity of social information technologies: Through the lens of photorealism and non-photorealism in archaeological visualization
Conceptualizing and studying information creation: From production and processes to makers and making
Information-making-related information needs and the credibility of information
- What do you need to know about information making to understand if it's credible?
- Join Workshop on Capturing Research Data Creation and Use
- Is there Paradata? A CRMdig-Supported Mapping of Provenance and Process Information in Archaeological Datasets
- And every FAIR from FAIR sometimes declines? Tracking the rise of paradata to increase data sustainability
- Talk: Archiving realtime archaeological (para)data or archiving archaeological (para)data realtime?
- CAPTURE_ERC: What do you need to know about information making to understand if it's credible? New paper published #paradata #credibility #informationmaking 2020-12-21
- CAPTURE_ERC: Workshop: Capturing Research Data Creation and Use in progress at #paradata 2020-11-24
- CAPTURE_ERC: Join Workshop on Capturing Research Data Creation and Use #paradata #researchdata 2020-10-30