CApturing Paradata for documenTing data creation and Use for the REsearch of the future (CAPTURE)
We might have enough data about data, but not a good enough understanding of how the data came about. CAPTURE investigates what information about the creation and use of research data (that is, paradata) is needed and how to capture enough of that information to make the data reusable in the future. The wickedness of the problem lies in the practical impossibility of documenting and keeping everything, and the difficulty to determine how to capture just enough.
The empirical focus of CAPTURE is archaeological and cultural heritage data, which stands out by its extreme heterogeneity and rapid accumulation due to the scale of ongoing development-led archaeological fieldwork. Within and beyond this specific context, CAPTURE develops an in-depth understanding of how paradata is being created and used today and elicits methods for capturing paradata. CAPTURE tests new methods in field trials and synthesises the findings in a reference model to inform the capturing of paradata. Enabling data-intensive research using heterogeneous research data stemming from diverse origins.
The project is directed by Professor Isto Huvila
This project has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme grant agreement No 818210.
CAPTURE on MedFarmPlay | YouTube | Twitter
- Successful archiving and management of paradata depends on your paradata-in-hand
- CAPTURE is hiring 1-2 research associates
- D-WISE: With Manual and Digital Approaches towards a Tool Suite for Discourse Analysis
- CfP: Archiving information on archaeological practices and knowledge work in the digital environment: workflows, paradata and beyond
- Oct 12, 2022 Workshop Tracking down scholarly research processes
- Zanna Friberg and @ihuvila are presenting at #CAA2023Ams in Amsterdam a paper on management and archiving of #paradata at a session on archiving process documentation org'd by @idigskeletons & @ihuvila #archaelogy @ERC_research 2023-04-05
- RT by @CAPTURE_ERC: #Cfp Deadline for @capture_erc and @asist_ec conf on Information Science Perspectives to Documenting Processes and Practices abstract deadline extended to April 25. Read more and submit at https://www.abm.uu.se/research/Ongoing+Research+Projects/capture/events/conference--information-science-perspectives-to-documenting-processes-and-practices/ @asist_org @asist_esc #paradata 2023-03-31
- RT by @CAPTURE_ERC: Join us @CAPTURE_ERC and @asist_ec for IST2023 "Information Science Perspectives to Documenting Processes and Practices" in Uppsala/Hybrid June 20-21st https://www.abm.uu.se/forskning/pagaende-forskningsprojekt/capture/events/conference--information-science-perspectives-to-documenting-processes-and-practices/ 2023-02-08